DS3 Catalysts: Pyromancy Flame vs. White Hair TalismanThis post may contain affiliate links. If you buy something we may get a small commission at no extra cost to you. (Learn more).
Both the Pyromancy Flame and White Hair Talisman are excellent catalysts for casting Pyromancies in Dark Souls 3.
Which one is best for you depends on what types of magic that you plan on casting, as well as your overall build.
We’ll break down the strengths and weaknesses of both Catalysts down below, so you can decide which is best for your build.
Pyromancy Flame Details
Castable magic: Pyromancies
Stat requirements: None
Upgrade Material: Titanite Shards
The Pyromancy Flame is the all-round best Flame for dedicated Pyromancers.
While Miracle users may want to use the White hair Talisman for casting Pyromancies, they should also consider using the generic Pyromancy Flame due to its ease of use.
The Pyromancy Flame has no stat requirements, which allows absolutely any class to wield it. It’s also easy to get, being available as early as the Undead Settlement.
While it’s certainly a basic option when it comes to casting Pyromancies, it can be upgraded with Titanite Shards, making it an easy catalyst to upgrade over the course of the game.
Despite its wholehearted focus on Pyromancies, Faith builds can still get the most out of the Pyromancy Flame, due its built-in scaling with the Faith stat.
The Pyromancy Flame should remain any Pyromancer’s primary catalyst, and should be considered by any Cleric looking to dabble in Pyromancy.
How To Get The Pyromancy Flame
If you begin the game as a Pyromancer, you’ll start with a Pyromancy Flame in your build. If you chose a different class, you can luckily still find a Pyromancy Flame early on.
Here’s how to get it:
- Warp to the Cliff Underside Bonfire in the Undead Settlement
- Walk forward and out onto the rooftops, then turn around and walk up them
- Climb up onto the wooden walkways, and take out the enemies
- Follow the walkways to the back-left corner to find Cornyx in a cage
- Talk to Cornyx and accept his offer
- He’ll now warp to Firelink Shrine, where you can buy the Pyromancy Flame from him
White Hair Talisman Details
Castable magic: Pyromancies and Miracles
Stat requirements: 16 Intelligence, 20 Faith
Upgrade Material: Twinkling Titanite
The White Hair Talisman is a unique catalyst, thanks to its ability to cast both Pyromancies and Miracles.
This versatility makes it a great option for Faith builds that want to dabble in Pyromancy.
Unfortunately, the opposite is not true, as dedicated Pyromancers that want to cast some Miracles may be turned away by the White Hair Talisman’s Faith requirement of 20.
While this stat requirement is certainly not an issue for Faith builds, the White Hair Talisman has other barriers to entry that may turn away Clerics that want to use it.
The most obvious of these is the incredible lengths you have to go to in order to find it (more on that later).
Another barrier is the White Hair Talisman’s upgrade material, Twinkling Titanite.
Since Twinkling Titanite is much rarer than regular Titanite Shards, it can be hard to find enough to upgrade the White Hair Talisman over the course of the game.
Most spells have their power determined by the stats of the catalyst that they’re casted with, so it’s vital that you can regularly upgrade your catalyst.
For those who don’t mind jumping through some hoops to use the White Hair Talisman, they’re likely to have a great time with it.
The versatility of the Talisman makes switching between schools of magic on the fly incredibly easy.
It also stops Faith builds from having to continually upgrade a Pyromancy Flame, saving a mountain of Titanite Shards in the process.
How To Get The White Hair Talisman
Getting the White Hair Talisman is a lengthy process.
Here’s a quick step-by-step on how to do it:
- Break the bridge next to the High Lord Wolnir Bonfire by attacking the support beams
- Climb down the makeshift ladder the broken bridge creates
- Continue descending until you reach the Smouldering Lake
- Walk towards the fog gate on you left, then look to the right to find the door to the Demon Ruins
- Explore the Ruins until you reach the Old King’s Antechamber Bonfire
- Equip Fire damage-resistant gear, then break the illusory wall in the Bonfire room
- Follow this path, turning left once you drop down and running to the end of the room
- Enter the door on your right and walk until you find a hole that leads to a lava pit
- Drop into the lava pit, make a 180-degree turn, and sprint to the back of the room
- The White Hair Talisman can be found as a glowing item at the back of the room
Which Catalyst Is Better?
If you’re a Pyromancer looking for a way to cast some simple miracles, avoid the White Hair Talisman. Stick with the Pyromancy Flame for your Pyromancies, and use a basic talisman such as the Sunlight Talisman for your Miracles.
If you’re using a Faith build and want to branch out into Pyromancies, both the Pyromancy Flame and White Hair Talisman are great options.
If you value ease of use, pick up the Pyromancy Flame from Cornyx. If you’re willing to put in the effort to get some extra performance, the White Hair Talisman is the way to go.