Where To Farm Rubber in Fallout 4 (Best Methods)This post may contain affiliate links. If you buy something we may get a small commission at no extra cost to you. (Learn more).
The best way to farm rubber in Fallout 4 is by scrapping objects from settlements, such as tires, tire walls, and traffic cones.
When you run out of objects to scrap in your settlements, you can look for junk items all around the Commonwealth that contain rubber, and scrap them.
Or if you have a lot of bottle caps to spare, you can also buy rubber from NPCs, as Shipments of Rubber.
Scavenging Rubber From The Wasteland
Scavenging from the wasteland is the best farming method to go with if you’ve depleted all rubber sources from your settlements & don’t want to spend money buying shipments of rubber from NPCs.
Here’s a list of all junk items that can be scrapped for rubber:
|Shipment of 100 units||100|
|Shipment of 25 units||25|
|Large Baby Bottle||1|
Hint: Some weapon and armor modifications can also be scrapped for rubber. Make sure you collect all the loot from the enemies you kill.
Most settlements contain some rubber, and you can find it in junk items all over the Commonwealth. But these are three of the best locations to farm:
|Graygarden (Settlement)||Tires and tire walls|
|Plumber’s Secret||Plungers and basketball|
|Boston Mayoral Shelter (Gymnasium Area)||Basketball, extinguisher, kickball, deflated kickball|
And this is their location on the map:
To access Boston Mayoral Shelter, you need to unlock the door to the bunker by using the terminal in the guard station to your right.
The gymnasium area will be in the lower levels of the bunker. Watch out for Synths as they will put up a real fight.
And it might be a bit tricky to find Plumber’s Secret since it’s not on the map, but follow these steps and the image below:
- Face Watzz Consumer Electronics
- Head slightly towards your left, until you see a red car
- Continue in that direction, until you find a building with big doorsteps
Tip: When farming from junk items, keep in mind that most items in Fallout 4 take around 7 days to respawn. You can cycle between junk items and settlement objects to farm more efficiently.
Here’s how to know if the items you find contain the materials you’re looking for:
- Head to a settlement and open crafting mode
- Start crafting an object that requires the materials you need
- If you don’t have enough of that material, you will be able to press the “TAG FOR SEARCH” option
- Now, when you hover an item containing the materials you have tagged, it will display a small magnifying glass icon before its name
Once you’ve found the junk items you were looking for, here’s how to scrap them:
- Pick up a junk item that can be scrapped for rubber
- Head to one of your workshops and press the transfer button
- Store the item inside your workshop
- When you build a structure and lack the raw materials to build it, your junk item will be automatically converted into its raw components
Note: Be careful when using the “STORE ALL JUNK” option, you might not want to get rid of some valuable items that belong to the “MY JUNK” class in your inventory.
Scrapping Rubber From Settlements
Scavenging from settlements is a great method to get rubber. But unlike junk items, settlement objects won’t respawn after a few days.
You’ll want to keep an eye out for tires, tire walls, and traffic cones.
I recommend heading to Graygarden, where you can find over 80 pieces of rubber.
How To Scrap Objects From Settlements (Step-by-Step)
- Head to one of your settlements and select the crafting option from your workshop
- Once in crafting mode, you will notice a yellow highlight around some objects
- If you press the scrap button while the objects are highlighted, you will get rid of them and store their resources
Here’s the locations on the map of all settlements in the commonwealth where you can look for rubber:
Rubber can be used to create different structures for your settlements and weapon modifications.
If you have too much rubber in one settlement but need it in another, you can create a supply line between them and share resources.
Buying Rubber From NPCs
Buying rubber is the easiest and fastest way to get rubber, but also the most expensive.
This way, you can carry a lot of rubber without becoming overencumbered, because you’re buying it as a Shipment of Rubber.
To use this Shipment of Rubber, you need to head to a crafting station (such as a workshop or a weapons workbench) and start crafting.
Just like other junk items, after using the shipment, it will be converted into individual pieces of rubber.
This is a list of NPCs that sell rubber, and where to find them:
|Trashcan Carla||Wandering (Sanctuary Hills to Drumlin Diner)||100|
|Myrna||Diamond City Surplus (Day shift)||100|
|Percy||Diamond City Surplus (Night shift)||100|
|Rufus Rubins||Hotel Rexford (Goodneighbor)||100|
|Doctor Sun||Diamond City Market||25|
|Doc Weathers||Wandering (Northeast Area of the Map)||25|
And here’s their locations on the map: