How To Unlock Sohm Al (Hard) in FFXIVThis post may contain affiliate links. If you buy something we may get a small commission at no extra cost to you. (Learn more).
You can unlock the Sohm Al (Hard) dungeon by accepting the quest “The Fires of Sohm Al” from the Gossamer Moogle in Idyllshire (X:4.6, Y:8.4).
However, you will need to complete a few pre-requisite quests before you can accept it, so let’s look at a quick overview:
Quick Step-by-Step Unlock Guide
- Complete the Main Scenario Quest (MSQ) “Mourn in Passing” from Alphinaud in The Dravanian Forelands (X:23.7, Y:19.6)
- Complete the MSQ “Heavensward” from the Guidance Node in Azys Lla (X:16.0, Y:22.0)
- Accept the quest “The Fires of Sohm Al” from the Gossamer Moogle in Idyllshire (X:4.6, Y:8.4)
- Talk to Vidofnir in The Dravanian Forelands (X:16.8, Y:23.6)
Detailed Unlocking Guide
To unlock Sohm Al (Hard), start by completing the Main Scenario Quest (MSQ) “Mourn in Passing” from Alphinaud in The Dravanian Forelands (X:23.7, Y:19.6).
This quest is part of the Main Scenario Questline for patch 3.0 of Heavensward, so you need to finish every MSQ leading up to “Mourn in Passing”.
Doing the quest “Mourn in Passing” will unlock the normal version of Sohm Al. One of Hraesvelgr’s brood, Vidofnir, will allow you to enter the dragons’ sacred ground to help you reach The Churning Mists and her father.
Though she will warn you about dragons from the Dravanian Horde that may block your path. You need to have at least a level 53 Disciple of War of Magic job and an average item level of 105 to enter.
After clearing Sohm Al (Normal), continue doing the patch 3.0 MSQs until “Heavensward” from the Guidance Node in Azys Lla (X:16.0, Y:22.0).
Completing this quest will unlock the Post-Dragonsong MSQs and sidequests, including the quest required to unlock Sohm Al (Hard).
Head to Idyllshire and accept the quest “The Fires of Sohm Al” from the Gossamer Moogle in Idyllshire (X:4.6, Y:8.4) to continue the Sohm Al Questline.
The Gossamer Moogle will inform you of the trouble brewing within Sohm Al and that the dragon Vidofnir is asking for your assistance. After your quick briefing with the Gossamer Moogle, talk to Vidofnir in The Dravanian Forelands (X:16.8, Y:23.6) to learn more.
She will tell you that the death of Nidhogg and the end of the Dragonsong War left Sohm Al without a leader. The sacred ground, once filled with mighty dragons, is now filled with creatures that do not belong there. Vidofnir will ask for your assistance in driving the creatures out of Sohm Al once again.
After your conversation with the dragon, Sohm Al (Hard) will be unlocked.
To enter the dungeon, you’ll need at least a level 60 Disciple of War or Magic job and an average item level of 230.
Since this dungeon was released way back in patch 3.5, it’s very easy to solo when you enter unsynced with a level 90+ character. Though if you encounter this dungeon in a duty roulette, you will need to do it synced.
Quick Boss Strategy Guide
To help you clear the dungeon quickly, here’s a breakdown of each boss and their rewards:
Boss #1: The Leightonward
- Wild Horn: A non-telegraphed frontal cone AoE attack. The tank should face the boss away from the party to avoid unnecessary damage.
- Inflammable Fumes: A room-wide AoE attack that will go off after the boss stands up. Mitigate and heal through the damage.
- Spore Sac: Spore sacs will spawn throughout the arena. Once the boss stands up, AoE markers will appear underneath them and explode after some time. Move away from the spore sacs as soon as they spawn to avoid getting hit.
- Excretion: A hard-hitting attack that places a slow debuff on a DPS. Healers should keep an eye out for targeted DPS players. Mitigate and heal through the damage, then dispel the debuff.
- Large Spore Sac: Larger spore sacs may appear during “Spore Sac” that spawn proximity-based markers. Avoid the smaller sacs while running away from the larger sacs.
- Glorious Blaze: Proximity-based attack that spawns from large spore sacs. Move away from the marker to lessen the damage.
Boss #2: Gowrow
Most of the boss’ attacks do not have telegraphs. Always pay attention to how the boss is moving to dodge its attacks. Any player that gets hit by these non-telegraphed attacks will be inflicted with a debuff that reduces the healing they receive.
- Volcanic Howl: A room-wide AoE attack. Mitigate and heal through the damage. This attack will also make the boss glow and boost his attacks.
- When the boss raises its tail while its body is not glowing, it will do a conal tail swipe that can knock players back. Move to the side or in front of the boss.
- When the boss raises its tail while its body is glowing, its tail will swipe around the melee range. Move away as soon as it raises its tail
- When the boss raises its left arm, it will do a frontal cleave attack. Move behind the boss.
- When the boss raises its right arm, it will do a frontal knockback attack. Move to the side or behind the boss.
- When the boss readies itself to charge, move away from its path to avoid getting hit.
- When the boss arches its body back and flexes, it will shoot a large fireball directly in front of it. Stay away from its line of sight.
- When the boss’ back glows white, it will spew a large conal fire attack continuously. Move to the side or behind the boss.
Boss #3: Lava Scorpion
As soon as the fight starts, the arena will shrink as the outer edges are filled with lava. Other mechanics will shrink the arena further as the encounter continues, so watch your step.
- Molten Silk: An AoE attack around the boss with three patterns: frontal, back cone, and donut. The patterns are random, but you will have enough time to dodge them.
Flying Press: The boss will target a random player and jump on top of them after some time. After the attack, a fire puddle will form under the player. At the same time, fiery AoEs will form around the room.
If you’re targeted, move to the outer edges of the arena to drop your puddle while avoiding the fiery AoEs. These puddles grow over time, so keeping them in one area will help the party move around the arena efficiently.
- Deadly Thrust: A tankbuster attack on the primary target. Use damage reduction skills and heal through the damage.
- Realm Shaker: A circular point-blank AoE attack. Melee players should move away to avoid extra damage.
- Hiss: The boss will spawn two smaller scorpions, “The Scorpion’s Claw,” and “The Scorpion’s Tail.” Kill the claw scorpion, then the tail scorpion, before attacking the boss again.
- Borehole: The claw scorpion will spawn a fire puddle underneath it if its cast goes off. Kill the claw scorpion immediately.
Extra Treasure Coffers
Apart from the boss rewards, there are four treasure coffers located throughout the dungeon that you can open for more gear rewards:
- (X:11.7, Y:12.2)
- (X:12.8, Y:10.9)
- (X:10.1, Y:12.0)
- (X:8.8, Y:11.2)