High Ballers: The Top 10 Most Valuable NBA Trading CardsThis post may contain affiliate links. If you buy something we may get a small commission at no extra cost to you. (Learn more).
Sports cards were big business anyway – but now they’re bigger than ever.
With a perfect storm of the pandemic providing the opportunity for people to start a new hobby, and the emergence of sports trading cards with digital elements like the NBA Top Shots, collecting cards can pay off big time in the future.
With the professional basketball season just around the corner – you might be wondering how much your NBA cards could be worth. Keep reading!
The most expensive NBA trading cards ever sold are as follows:
1. Stephen Curry – 2009 National Treasures 1/1 Rookie Logoman Autograph – $5.9m
2. LeBron James – 2003 James Exquisite Collection patch – $5.2m
3. Luka Dončić – 2018-19 National Treasures Logoman – $4.6m
4. LeBron James – 2003-04 Upper Deck rookie card – $1.84m
5. Kobe Bryant – 1996-97 Topps Chrome Refractors – $1.79m
6. Michael Jordan 1997 Upper Deck Game Jersey Autographs – $1.4m
7. LeBron James 2004-05 Upper Deck Ultimate Signatures Logos #USL-LJ Signed Logoman Card – $1.3m
8. Giannis Antetokounmpo 2013-14 Panini Prizm “Prizms Black Mosaic” #290 – $1.1m
9. Anthony Davis 2012-13 Panini National Treasures #151 NBA Logoman Rookie Patch Autographs – $1.0m
10. Stephen Curry 2009-10 Panini National Treasures “Century Platinum” Rookie Patch Autograph – $960k
It’s worth bearing in mind that you may not find one of these in your collection as they are mostly limited runs.
However, it’s worth keeping your collection in mint condition as you may have a future classic on your hands.
It also depends on who you might be selling to.
Card buyers who have been following the sport for several years may want to buy cards of those who are considered champions or favourites in the sport, whereas some savvy sports fans may wish to buy the cards of new players (and therefore get them cheaper!) in hopes that they will be considered an all-time great in the future.
Keeping cards in individual card sleeves and away from the elements (no moisture or direct sunlight!) can help keep cards in pristine condition. And no matter how tempting, don’t wear gloves to handle them as the cotton could potentially scratch the card.