How To Get a Pirate’s Hat in OSRSThis post may contain affiliate links. If you buy something we may get a small commission at no extra cost to you. (Learn more).
When opening a hard treasure trail (clue scroll) reward casket, you have a 1 in 1,625 chance of getting a pirate’s hat (0.0615%).
This is the only way to get a pirate’s hat naturally in OSRS, unless you buy one from the grand exchange, buy one directly from a player, or kill a player in the wilderness for one.
Since this is largely RNG, let’s look into how you can get hard clue scrolls to try farming for this drop.
But first, here’s a small interesting tidbit about the pirate hat.
Creating a Hat Eyepatch
If you’ve done the Cabin Fever quest, then you can take your pirate hat and a right-eye patch to Patchy and he’ll combine them for you.
Patchy can be found southwest of the bank in Mos Le’Harmless.
It costs 500 coins to stitch the hat and patch together, and then costs 600 coins to unstitch them.
You also need to have the “book o’ piracy’ in your inventory to do this.
Hard Clue Scrolls Method 1: Implings
When opening a Ninja impling jar, you have a 1 in 25 chance of getting a hard clue scroll.
You can buy Ninja impling jars on the Grand Exchange, or you can catch your own at level 74 Hunter (with a butterfly net). And if you can reach level 84 Hunter then you can catch them bare-handed.
Ninja implings are found randomly throughout the world, but you have a better chance of finding them in the Puro-Puro Minigame area.
You can access this area via the crop circles found around the world.
Crop circles are specifically found at wheat fields in the following locations:
- Brimhaven, north of the Brimhaven Agility Arena
- Catherby, by the farming patches
- Draynor, northeast of the bank
- Great Kourend, southeast of the Farming Guild
- Gwenith, northeast of Prifddinas
- Harmony Island, north of the building
- Hosidius, south of the farming patches
- Miscellenia, southeast of the castle
- Mos Le’Harmless, east of the clothes shop
- East Ardougne, south of the farming shop
- Lumbridge, southwest of the mill
- Rimmington, south of the mine
- South of Doric’s house, north of Falador
- Taverley, west of the lake
- Outside the Grand Exchange, north of the Cooking Guild
- South of Varrock, southeast of the Champions’ Guild
- Tree Gnome Stronghold, southeast of the Grand Tree
- Yanille, north of the Magic Guild
- Zanaris, east of the fairy ring
Note that the only permanent crop circle is the one in Zanaris. The others appear for around 30 minutes before disappearing again.
Hard Clue Scrolls Method 2: Skotizo
You’re guaranteed a Hard clue scroll 100% of the time when you kill Skotizo (level-321).
To enter Skotizo’s lair, you need to make a Dark totem by combining a dark totem base, dark totem middle, and dark totem top.
You get the dark totem pieces from monsters in the Catacombs of Kourend, such as dust devils (pictured below).
And this guy won’t go down easily, so make sure you’re prepared!
Hard Clue Scrolls Method 3: Jellies
Jellies (level-78) are relatively easy to kill. And they drop clue scrolls at a rate of 1 in 128.
Just note that you need 52 Slayer to kill them.
As for locations, they’re either in the Fremennik Slayer Dungeon or in the Wilderness Slayer Cave.
Another option is Warped Jellies (level-112). These have a 1 in 64 chance of dropping hard clue scrolls, but they’re considerably stronger.
Warped Jellies (pictured below) are found in the east and southeast areas of the Catacombs of Kourend, so you can kill them while farming dark totem pieces.
Hard Clue Scrolls Method 4: Hellhounds
Hellhounds (level-122, 127, or 136) drop hard clue scrolls at a rate of 1 in 64.
They can be found in the following locations:
- Catacombs of Kourend (level-122)
- God Wars Dungeon (level-127)
- Karuulm Slayer Dungeon (level-122)
- Outside of the Wilderness Resource Area (level-122)
- Stronghold Slayer Cave (level-122)
- Taverley Dungeon (level-122)
- Wilderness Slayer Cave (level-136)
- Witchaven Dungeon (level-122)
If you’ve also completed the hard combat achievements tasks, then you also get a 5% increased chance to receive a hard clue scroll from all these drop sources (excluding implings).
And if you wear a ring of wealth (i) while killing Hellhounds in the wilderness (east of the Deserted Keep), your drop rate chance will increase to 1 in 32 (up from 1 in 64).