How To Farm Wood Fast in Fallout 4 (Best Methods)This post may contain affiliate links. If you buy something we may get a small commission at no extra cost to you. (Learn more).
The fastest way to obtain wood in Fallout 4 is by scrapping wooden objects from most settlements, like wooden fences, stumps, branch piles, and trees.
The settlement with the most wood is Spectacle Island with a total yield of around 4000 wood.
But there are two other ways to get wood in Fallout 4:
- Scrapping items that contain wood.
- Buying it from an NPC.
Method 1: Scrapping Wood From Settlements
Scrapping wood from settlements is the quickest way to get a lot of wood without spending any bottle caps.
How To Scrap Wood From Settlements:
- Head to one of your settlements and select the crafting option from your workshop.
- Once in crafting mode, you will notice a yellow highlight around some objects.
- If you press the scrap button while the objects are highlighted, you will get rid of them and store their resources.
The Settlement With The Most Wood & How To Gain Access
The best settlement to scrap wood from is Spectacle Island, but to gain access to its workshop, there are a few things you need to do:
- Find the round metal shack, with a radio tower, in the middle of the island.
- Follow the wire going from the top of the radio tower to a beached boat nearby.
- Enter the boat and activate the generator.
- Kill all the enemies that spawn after activating the generator.
- Head back to the shack, go inside it, and activate the circuit breaker that connects to the wire.
- You can now use the workshop and begin collecting wood.
Tip: Grab the Fat Man inside the boat to help you deal with the enemies. Being level 20 or higher and having good weapons and armor might be necessary.
Other Settlements To Scrap Wood From
Even though Spectacle Island is the best place to get a lot of wood really quickly, there are over 30 settlements where you can farm wood from in the Commonwealth.
Wood can be used to create different structures for your settlements and to modify weapons.
If you have too much wood in one settlement but need it in another, you can create a supply line between them and share resources.
Method 2: Scavenging Wood From Junk Items
Scrapping junk is not the fastest way to obtain wood.
But if you’re a hoarder, like most Fallout players, put your junk to some use and scrap it in one of your workshops.
How to scrap wood from junk:
- Pick up a junk item that can be scrapped for wood.
- Head to one of your workshops and press the transfer button.
- Store the item inside your workshop.
- When you build a structure and lack the raw materials to build it, your junk items will be automatically converted into their raw components.
Note: Be careful when using the “STORE ALL JUNK” option, you might not want to get rid of some valuable items that belong to the “MY JUNK” class in your inventory.
Here’s a list of all junk items that can be scrapped for wood and their corresponding yields:
|Anchorage veteran’s flag||2|
|Blast Radius board game||2|
|Desktop picture frame||2|
|League bowling pin||2|
|Tabletop picture frame||2|
|Test tube rack||2|
|Trifold American flag||2|
Additionally, weapons like hunting rifles, combat shotguns, double-barrel shotguns, rolling pins, and canes can be scrapped for wood. The yield will depend on their modifications.
Method 3: Buying Wood From An NPC
Buying your wood can be expensive, but it’s a viable way to acquire wood.
The advantage is that you don’t have to carry the weight of wood, because you buy it as a “Shipment of Wood”.
To use this item, store it in your workshop and the wood will be used when you craft a structure.
Below is a list of all the NPCs that sell wood, followed by their location on the map:
|NPC Name||Location||Shipment’s Amount of Units|
|Connie Abernathy||Abernathy Farm||50|
|Moe Cronin||Diamond City||100|
|Myrna||Diamond City Surplus||250|
|Alexis Combes||Vault 81||250|
Note: Settlers that have been assigned to trading posts can also sell shipments of wood.