The Best Places To Loot in OSRSThis post may contain affiliate links. If you buy something we may get a small commission at no extra cost to you. (Learn more).
Due to the frequent update schedule and fluctuating economy of Old School RuneScape, the best places to loot might constantly change due to new content coming out.
With that said, these are the current top places to go looting as of this writing:
- Nechryaels in the Catacombs of Kourend (most money per hour on average)
- Wyrms in the Karuulm Slayer Dungeon
- Vyrewatch Sentinels in Darkmeyer (only one with a quest requirement)
- Fishing Trawler at Port Khazard (or Tempoross)
But what exactly is looting?
Looting is considered the act of picking up items that someone else has dropped on the floor (whether intentionally or not), and making out like a bandit with a sack full of valuables.
Since that means looting depends entirely on other players being “charitable”, you may have varied success at the same spot, even though you’re doing the exact same thing.
The Most Profitable Places to Loot
1. Nechryaels in the Catacombs of Kourend
Nechryaels are probably among the top three most popular slayer tasks in OSRS.
In order to be efficient here, many players choose to do their Nechryael task in the Catacombs of Kourend, making use of multi-hitting ancient magick spells (bursts or barrages), to simultaneously kill as many as possible.
Most players that share this mindset tend to only pick up the most valuable drops, and leave cheaper items on the ground, as they consider them a waste of time or inventory space.
That leaves room for potential looters to come in and pick up drops like:
- Adamant kiteshields and battleaxes
- Rune boots and axes
- Various types of Runes
- Grimy herbs
- Malicious Ashes
When your inventory fills up, make a quick trip to the bank located right above you in Kourend’s Castle, store your findings, and come back for more!
2. Wyrms in the Karuulm Slayer Dungeon
Similar to Nechryael looting, the idea here is to loot unwanted drops of players doing their Wyrm slayer task.
Wyrms have a guaranteed chance of dropping Wyrm Bones worth a little over 1.6k. And because they’re not stackable, many players don’t bother with the hassle of picking them up or burying them.
That’s where you come in to sweep them up and give those bones a new home.
You can also find other items lying on the floor here too, like:
- Many different adamant items
- Rune and adamant arrowtips
- Red d’hide chaps
- Small amounts of coins (usually about 1k)
Note: If you’re heading to the Karuulm Slayer Dungeon, make sure you’re either wearing Boots of Stone, or have completed the Elite Kourend Diary. Otherwise you’re going to suffer a very quick death.
3. Vyrewatch Sentinels in Darkmeyer
In the vampyre city of Darkmeyer we can find a lot of players killing Vyrewatch Sentinels, either for their slayer task, or in hopes of getting a coveted Blood Shard, but we’re not here for that.
Since the bank is right next to the spot most players kill the Sentinels, our goal is to pick up literally everything that they might leave on the ground.
Ideally you want to be in a world with three people killing Vyrewatch, but two should also do just fine.
Also, keep an eye out for players wearing the Justiciar armour set. They’re the ones most likely to be afk.
Note: Access to the city of Darkmeyer requires completion of the master quest “Sins of the Father”. Make sure you’re wearing your Vyre Noble outfit to keep all vampyres within the city unaggressive.
4. Fishing Trawler
Fishing Trawler is a minigame that’s visited by quite a number of players on a daily basis, since it’s the easiest way of obtaining the Angler’s Outfit.
Other rewards of the trawler include a wide variety of fish, ranging from shrimps all the way to manta rays.
Many players don’t care about their fish, so they don’t bother banking or discarding, and instead drop them on the ground.
While stacking up these soon-to-be fish sticks might not be as profitable as other methods, the existence of the nearby bank chest means that you can do something else, while occasionally looting for some extra profit.
Tip: Make sure you’re on a Fishing Trawler dedicated world (like 370), else you won’t find anyone to loot from. This can also be done at Tempoross, but the Trawler is generally more profitable.
Here are a few extra things to consider before going on a scavenger hunt:
- Because looting usually has no requirements, it’s a decent money-making option for any new players straight out of Tutorial Island.
- When looting at monsters that drop adamant and rune items, consider bringing high-alchemy spells to make your trips even longer.
- On the same note, performing another activity (like high-alching or fletching darts) is a decent way of being efficient while waiting for potential loot to appear.
- To be able to see items dropped by other players, you must have been logged into the same world as them at the time of the item being dropped. This means that you can’t simply hop around worlds to pick up all the best items.